Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Aircraft Boneyard / Pima Air & Space Museum


Picture of the Day for 6/2/2011. My dad turned 90 today! What a milestone! Given his poor health, our family was concerned he wouldn't make it, but he did! So, what did I do to celebrate this momentous occasion? I ditched him and went on a vacation to Tucson, Arizona. Yeah, I'm not winning any awards for "daughter of the year" anytime soon.

In my defense, I did something that my father, a former aviator, would have loved. I visited the aircraft "boneyard" at Davis-Monthan AFB. This is where decommissioned military aircraft are sent to retire since the dry Arizona air prevents them from deteriorating. Currently, there are over 4,000 airplanes stored here.


A short distance away is the Pima Air & Space Museum.



I like this picture (above) of the underbelly of an SR-71 (shown below). I was geeking out that the plane on exhibit was the 2nd one ever produced and the oldest surviving SR-71. (I apologize for the unadulterated nerdiness of that statement. Sadly, it is possible to geek out over things like this.)


My friend was geeking out over this B-52 that served as a drop plane for the X-15 on 93 of the program's 199 flights.


I'm including this picture below. Not because I know what type of aircraft it is or it has any type of significance to me, but because it just makes me giggle.


Sadly, our time was short at the museum. I'd love to go back someday and take some of the tours.

No comments:

Post a Comment