Sunday, December 28, 2014

Dueling Nativity Sets

Picture of the Day for 12/28/2014. This post is for my friend, Lisa Joner, who rightly chastised me for writing about a beautiful nativity set I inherited from my mother without actually showing a picture of the nativity set. Here it is:



I have another nativity set that my mother made for me. Not from scratch obviously, but she was into ceramics for awhile and I think she did the sanding/glazing portion of the work. Here is that nativity set. 
 


In a fit of uninspired holiday decorating, I placed them right next to each other on a long ledge in my living room. I kind of have this image of the figures from the opposing nativity sets taunting each other in the middle of the night when I'm in bed. Here's how I imagine the conversation going:

Brightly-Colored Nativity (BCN) Wise Men: Hey, how is that whole plain white glazed look working for you?

White Glazed Nativity (WGN) Wise Men: Just fine, thank you very much. At least we're not painted in garish colors. We're elegant and sophisticated.

BCN Wise Men: Uh huh. Riiiight. Elegant and sophisticated. Also known as boring.

WGN Wise Men: I'll show you boring (they say as they shake their fists). So, how is that measly lone camel working out for you? We've got two and they're MUCH bigger than your lame camel.

BCN Joseph: Whatever. So, how is that puny little star over your stable working out for you? We've got a magnificent angel hovering above us and all you've got is that dinky little plastic star. 

WGN Joseph: The star looks dinky only because our stable is so large. Far more commodious than yours. Sorry you're all crammed in so tightly there. Well, actually we're not really sorry at all. We're too busy enjoying our luxurious accommodations.

BCN Shepherd:  Yeah, if it's so great why did the sheep that's supposed to be resting on the right-hand side of Baby Jesus made a break for it? (Note from worried Michelle: I just noticed as I was writing this that the sheep is actually missing. Eek. I hope I can find it in the packing box.)

WGN Shepherd: Argh!!! Don't you dare insult my shepherding techniques!!!

In a rage, the WGN Shepherd throws the first punch and a melee ensues. The two Marys just roll their eyes and stay out of it. 

So, yeah, that's the kind of thing that goes on inside my head...

1 comment:

  1. Hee hee! I got mentioned in your blog! I'm gonna get my 15 minutes of fame after all....

    ReplyDelete