Wednesday, August 12, 2015

Road Trip to Chinle, AZ

Picture of the Day for 8/12/2015. We will be spending a few days down here in New Mexico and Arizona touring the places and visiting the people my nephew Rob loved during his two-year mission spent largely on the Navajo reservation. 

We began the morning by driving past the Shiprock rock formation that give Shiprock, New Mexico its name. Rob was telling us in Navajo lore the rock is an eagle that crashed into the earth and what remains above the ground is the eagle's wing. I like that version better than the reference to a ship.

We drove west along Indian Route 13 into Arizona and through the Buffalo Pass where the scenery was stunning. You can see Shiprock faintly in the distance to the east. 


Continuing along Indian Route 13 into Arizona is a rock feature called Butt Rock. I'll leave it up to you to examine the picture and guess why.

We arrived in Chinle, Arizona, our final destination for the day, and drove straight to Canyon de Chelly. First stop was the Mummy Cave overlook where you can see some Anasazi ruins. I love how it looks like a wise, old face.




The next stop was the Massacre Cave overlook where we met Terry, a Navajo artist who paints on flat sheets of rock at a makeshift worktable he's created there. I bought a couple of cool pieces from him. I'll blog more about that at a later date.
 


 Below is my favorite picture from the Massacre Cave overlook.

The day ended with one of the most spectacular sunsets I've ever seen.

No comments:

Post a Comment