Thursday, November 6, 2014

Edna Hibel

Picture of the Day for 11/6/2014. I had one of my happy accidents today. I was Googling things to do in the Jupiter, Florida  area and I found a little write-up about the Edna Hibel Museum of Art on the campus of the Florida Atlantic University. I had never heard of her before, but I knew a whole bunch about her by the time I left. That's because I had the tour guide, Helene (pictured below), all to myself for about an hour. It was great!

Edna Hibel is a 97-year-old artist (still alive) who is famous for her portraits of mothers and children. Those paintings were beautiful, but since I'm not a mother, I was more interested in her painting technique. The paint is very thick and and you can see her brushstrokes everywhere except on the faces which are smooth- almost like porcelain dolls. Below is a good example of that. 

I loved this portrait of one of Edna's neighbors.

And this portrait of Ginger Rogers dressed in her "Hello, Dolly!" costume was striking with all the red.

No comments:

Post a Comment