Sunday, July 20, 2014

45th Anniversary of Apollo 11

Picture of the Day for 7/20/2014. Today is the 45th anniversary of the first manned moon landing. I was six-years-old at the time and I don't remember anything about the television broadcast from that Sunday night, but I do recall during the week that the news coverage pre-empted Mr. Rogers, my all-time favorite television show. I was outraged I tell you! Outraged! I recall precisely what I thought at the time. "Who cares about landing on the moon?" In the intervening years I've more than made up for that childish disinterest and I've been fortunate enough to meet all three crew members of Apollo 11.

Me with Neil Armstrong at the 40th anniversary celebration of Apollo 16
held at the Kennedy Space Center on 4-14-2012.

Helping out Buzz Aldrin at Spacefest 6 in Pasadena, California on 5-10-2014.

Michael Collins at Spacefest 2 in San Diego, California on 2-20-2009.

No comments:

Post a Comment