Monday, February 20, 2012

Frank W. Merrill


Picture of the Day for 2/18/2012. In what has turned out to be an archeological dig of my parents' basement, I came across this photograph of my great-grandfather Franklin W. Merrill as a young man. Previous to this discovery, I had only seen pictures of him as a very old man. There's no resemblance between the young and old versions of this ancestor and I'm wondering if it's because he was beaten down a little by life. He used to be a composer, music professor, and organist for the Mormon Tabernacle Choir until he lost his hearing. How is that for irony? He ended up spending the second half of his working years as a janitor. Although there's nothing wrong with being a janitor, I'm sure it's not what he had in mind when he embarked on his music career.

1 comment:

  1. Michelle this is an incredib'e find. Thank you for sharing.

    Lane

    ReplyDelete