Saturday, November 7, 2015

Space Shuttle Memorial

Picture of the Day for 11/7/2015. I spent the day at the Kennedy Space Center attending an astronaut autograph show. Saw my space buddies. Got to meet the commander of the very last space shuttle mission. Spoke with some astronauts I had never met before- including two who now work for ATK (the former Morton Thiokol) and live in Utah. It was all very fun (duh), but I have to say the highlight was seeing the new memorial to the Challenger and Colombia space shuttle crews. The panel is from the Challenger which broke up shortly after take-off and the cockpit window frames are from the Colombia which broke up during re-entry. Everyone warned me it was going to be an emotional experience but I still wasn't prepared for how haunting and touching the exhibit was. Pictures don't do this justice.



No comments:

Post a Comment