Thursday, September 24, 2015

Good-Bye Dillards

Picture of the Day for 9/24/2015. Demolition has begun on the Dillard's department store at Fashion Place Mall. Prior to Dillard's, this space used to house Weinstock's department store when I was in high school. My friend Sara just posted this on her Facebook page:

The demolition of Dillard's. Does anyone else remember the high pitched sound, heard on the escalator? I could still hear it two months ago, but Lucy Colosimo could not. The only two people I definitely remember hearing it were my mother, and Michelle Martine Merrill's father, who are no longer with us. Like Rose's love affair with Jack on the Titanic, did this thing actually exist?

Too funny- I never realized my dad could hear the high-pitched sound. The reference to escalators reminded me of how Sara and I discovered this little kick-plate at the bottom of escalators to stop them. Being obnoxious teenagers, we would always surreptitiously kick them when we were at a mall shopping. It never got old seeing an escalator stop dead. Good times. 

No comments:

Post a Comment