Sunday, February 17, 2019

A Trip to the Kennedy Space Center

Picture of the Day for February 17, 2019. Spent the day at the Kennedy Space Center.

First Stop: Listened to Al Worden (Command Module Pilot for Apollo 15) speak at the daily Astronaut Encounter. He gave an engaging talk. You'd never know he was in his late-80s.




Regardless of which astronaut happens to be the featured speaker, I love going to the Astronaut Encounter speeches just to watch this intro to the event which shows an inspiring quote by Teddy Roosevelt accompanied by dramatic music. Gets me every time.


Second Stop: Getting an autograph from Al Worden. I've met him literally a thousand-billion times at various space events. I wanted to see if there would be a glimmer of recognition when I stepped up to the desk. Zero recognition. Oh well...




Third Stop: Visiting the Atlantis shuttle exhibit building. I never fail to be moved by the display of pieces of the wreckage from the Challenger and Colombia shuttle disasters.



I love how the underside of a space shuttle looks like snake skin.



No comments:

Post a Comment