Thursday, January 11, 2018

Astronaut Scott Kelly

January 11, 2018. I was able to hear Commander Scott Kelly speak tonight at Abravanel Hall. Kelly is famous for spending nearly a year in space on the International Space Station. He spoke about his experiences growing up, how he ended up as an astronaut, and his experiences on his one-year stint on the ISS. He did not grow up as a superstar student and in fact his talk focused on perseverance and learning to do hard things. I can barely give up chocolate for more than a day so I definitely found his comments inspiring. He also had amusing stories to tell of the differences between the Russian and American approaches to space travel. The Russians have a decidedly more casual/pragmatic view of things. I was able to attend a VIP session afterward to meet Kelly and get his book signed. I loved the blurry selfie we took. He was showing me how to use the volume key to take a picture on an iPhone and I ended up moving as he was taking the picture. I already know this about the iPhone, but I thought it was sweet.




No comments:

Post a Comment