Monday, January 16, 2017

Last Man on the Moon is Gone

Picture of the Day for January 16, 2017. Gene Cernan, the last man to walk on the moon, died today. I have a special fondness for him. Starting in 2009, I started volunteering at Spacefest, an annual astronaut autograph show. Eight years later I still love space as much as I ever did, but I'm a little blase about meeting astronauts now since I've met so many of them and I've attended so many events. Back in 2009, Gene Cernan was the first astronaut I was assigned to help and I was positively GIDDY to spend three days with him. He was lovely and I was impressed (and still am) by how unfailingly polite he was with everyone who stopped by his booth to chat. Below is an excerpt from my journal describing my time as a volunteer and a picture he inscribed to me as thanks for being his helper. Great guy. 


No comments:

Post a Comment