Saturday, June 6, 2015

Richard Nixon Library and Birthplace

Picture of the Day for 6/6/2015. I had a few hours to kill before catching my flight home this evening so I decided to check out the Richard Nixon presidential library and birthplace in Yorba Linda, California. Loved it. I love history and seeing the personal artifacts from major historical figures (excluding Taylor Swift as I made very clear in my blog entry from yesterday).
 

 


The library is on the land owned by Nixon's father when he attempted to be a citrus farmer. The small cottage was where Nixon was born and pretty much all of the contents are original to the house. Nixon became vice president of the United States in the 1950s as a relatively young man in his 40s. The family had the foresight to save everything from the house in anticipation that Nixon's birthplace would be of historical significance someday. 





Nixon was the president during the moon landing and I love the telegraph he sent to the Apollo 11 crew members. "It is now your moment and from the depths of your minds and hearts and spirits will come the triumph all men will share." 

No comments:

Post a Comment